Friday, August 12, 2011

Thai Traditional Tattoo (Bamboo, Yant)


Today was my first day back to training after taking a few days off.  I really wanted to go directly from Rawai to Tiger Muay Thai, but unfortunately the sickness has caught me again!  This time it's some sort of flu/cold thing.  I would classify it as a cold except for the fact that I've been feeling REALLY run down, low energy, sleepy, sore throat, etc.  My immune system is fresh soil for these sorts of buggers.  I sucked it up and started training today at Tiger, snotty  nose and all.  I thought Rawai was intense.  My new trainer has a stick, rumor has it (from the other students) that if you slack off he actually hits you with the stick.  And picks on you in front of everyone.  This camp is more cardio (my body dislikes all the running), and more technique.  Lots of world class fighters come from here.  Today the other girls and I were sparring- this was an option at Rawai but a part of everyday training at Tiger.  Tomorrow is the Queen's birthday so the camp is closed.  They REALLY REALLY REALLY love the King and Queen here.  Every establishment that I've been in has photos of the King and the Queen- and little signs that say.. give you one guess… we love the King.  In Thailand there are only a few things that you can do (aside from the obvious) to get into serious trouble, and one of those is to say anything negative about the King or Queen.

So in my two days off from training, I decided to budget for the rest of my trip to Thailand.. and then I curled up on the beach and read a book I've been trying to read for 2 years now, 'Autobiography of a Yogi'.. and then decided to treat myself to a couple of tattoos!  I was inkless prior to my visit to the Kingdom of Thailand, and now I'm sporting two different traditional Thai Tattoos on each shoulder blade.  I found this guy named Sorn online who had a website and photos of himself actually doing the tattoos, with fresh needles.  In Thailand this is really important because many shops just find photos on the internet and claim that the work is their own, which is normally not the case.  So Sorn (who doesn't speak English) and this guy named Andrew show up at my room on Patong Beach to do the tattoos.  Andrew was the ride and friend, and of course the communication link between the two of us.  It took about 3 hours from start to finish for both.  It was painful yes… but not awful.  I have no basis for comparison really seeing as I have no other tattoos.  I tried my best to meditate through the process, Andrew is an Aussie and shared his thoughts on life, spirituality, yoga, Tony Robbins (who he really doesn't care much for), Buddhism, and all things metaphysical.  Some things he said resonated, others didn't.  The most memorable part for me was when he said 'Everything is just happening, ya know?'.  Yes I do.  it was a nice experience and interesting to hear someone's passionate views on life and existence.  
Sorn doing my bamboo tattoo


A little history on Thai Yant tattoos... Yant's are believed to be magical tattoos by the Thai culture, using sacred geometry.  Here are a few different descriptions I pulled from various websites.

** Sak Yant is an old Southeast Asian tradition of placing Yantra on the skin by means of tattoo. Yantra are symbols or diagrams to balance the mind or focus on spiritual concepts. In practice, many Southeast Asians wear them for protection against both physical and spiritual threats. 
The origin of Yantra is in India, but the tradition of tattoo was not, therefore in India the diagrams were primarily on printed or drawn items, like cloth. When the custom spread to SE Asia, Sak Yant, or the tattooing of the yant as an art developed. Started first by the Khmer, it later took root in Thailand.  They are typically administered via metal rod with needles on the end, or a bamboo needle. 

**Sak Yant – Thai Sacred Geometry (Yant/Yantra) tattooed in the skin. Sak Yant is an Ancient magical practice of Sacred Geometry, using Buddhist, Brahman and Animist imagery and magical incantations (Kata), written in Khom (Ancient script used to write Pali Sanskrit).

From what I have learned, the tattoos are believed to attract different things, and are believed to provide  protection.  I like the way they look, and the symbolism, meaning, and intention behind the tattoo.  Obviously I did not have my tattoos done by a monk, it wasn't important to me and it seems to be a bit risky and there is lots of work involved.  It would have been an interesting cultural experience under the right circumstances, but way too many grey areas... mostly because research shows many Monk's do not change needles as they use the metal rod to tattoo, and the quality of the tattoo is hit or miss depending on the monk.  I am going to have this for the rest of my life, I'd like to be aesthetically pleasing.  See what I mean here... Not good quality



Also, monks are unable to touch women, making it difficult for women to get tattooed by them.



These are photos of the tattoos.  They are upside down because I had to reach around over my head behind my back to take the photos.  

He did a pretty good job of centering them evenly on my back 8-)

Yant Bua Kiaow, mean Green Lotus in English. Good for attraction, compassion and free from harm.

Some of the various 'powers' and terms in sakyant;

Maha Phokasap (great wealth; 'Maha' means great)
Maha Laap(great fortune)
Maha Amnay (power, authority, great charismatic power)
Metta(loving-kindness, to be greatly loved by others all around)
Kong Grapan(impenetrability, protection)
Klaew Klaad(free from harm, 'invisibility')
Chok Laap (luck & good fortune)
Maha Saeneh (love/attraction)
Maha Niyom (charming, popular)
Maha Udt (invincibility, impenetrability, ultimate protection)

Right after, still a little red
The ink set in a little deeper the following day

Every sacred line of this Yant will bestow a blessing on the receiver, usually including loving kindness, success in all aspects of life, charm, good luck and protection against evil spirits and the banishment of bad luck.  I have also been told from the locals that each line is a different form of blessing/luck.  Each line is different, one for the world, one for love, one for business, protection, etc.

The following Katha or Mantra which praises Buddha’s 5 outstanding attributes is associated with the Hah Taew Yant.
Namo Putta Ya Na Metti
Mo Putta Ya Na Na Metti
Putta Ya Namo Na Metti
Ta Ya Namo Put Na Metti
Ya Namo Putta Na Metti
Also not to be discounted, I got my first Henna Tattoo the same day 8-)




Everyone keeps asking how much I paid for the tattoos.  Every time I tell a Thai person how much I paid, they sort of laugh or their eyes get wide- or they inform me it was 'too much'.  Today the new trainer (the stick guy) showed me the same tattoo that he was sporting on his back and said he paid 100 baht for his.  Which is like $3.  Okay, I get it.. Prices are different for Tourists.  I could have probably found a better price if I would have waited till I had a Muay Thai trainer hook up- but I'm happy with Sorn's work.  And I only paid a fraction of the cost of what I would have paid in the states.  It's true what they say.. all I can think about is getting ANOTHER tattoo now that I have one.  Well two.  8-)  Love and Light,
<3 Tiff

3 comments:

  1. regardless of what you paid you are one of the few people (especially a white american girl) who is blessed with the opportunity to receive a traditional, ancient tattoo for spiritual health. wow! what an honor! i'm so happy for you! how cool is it that your first tattoos are done in this way in this land? you special lady....me love you long time! cheers to you darlin! iz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very spiritual traditional tattoo...n very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... tattoo shop phuket

    ReplyDelete