Monday, August 22, 2011

Goodbye Phuket, Sawadeeka Bangkok


When you and I meet together, we forget ourselves- our cultures and classes. There are no divisions, and we talk mind to mind, soul to soul. We are no different in our deepest needs. We are all human. - B.K.S Iyengar  


Moo dropped me off at the airport this morning and said 'I no forget you.  Good luck for you.'  Awww!  I love how our unlikely friendship evolved.  Of everyone I have met on this trip Moo has taught me the most.  Moo taught me to slow down and enjoy life, slow down when eating my food (I eat like I'm in the army), and the most important thing he taught me is that at a basic fundamental level…we're really not that different.  The quote I opened this blog with is one of my favorites, and reminds me of my friendship with Moo.   It's beautiful the friendship that we managed to form despite language barriers and cultural differences.  We're all same same, but different lol… If you've ever been to Thailand you are probably laughing because you know exactly what that means.  if you haven't, people here often say 'same same' but it really means different.  Confused yet?  8-)

I arrived in Bangkok after a 1.5 hour flight, and very LONG and expensive cab ride.  I decided to be brave and adventurous, so the cab driver just dropped me off near Khaosan Road and I started walking with all my luggage guitar and all.  I looked a few different rooms, the room I picked (the best in my budget range) smells of old towel and is big enough for my single bed and my luggage.  EW.  But hey.. It's only $15 a night and I'm right in the middle of the most cultural exciting street in Bangkok.  I have a little incense to burn, and I'm trying to spend as little time in my room as possible.  It's an adventure!  Feels like summer camp where no one speaks english.  I walked around tonight taking in the city, and I must say I wish I would have spent more time in Bangkok.  Being a desert dweller the past few years, the ocean in Phuket attracted me.  Next time I will certainly spend a little more time here.  There is so much to see!  

I'm off to shower and prepare for my big day tomorrow… Day one of training at Wat Po School of Thai Traditional Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment